Homeowners Insurance: Valuing Your Home
After years of hard work saving money, faithfully following your budget, and with a little help from bank financing, you may have finally acquired your dream house. This house is your home and might just be your home for a while, as you enjoy home ownership and build equity. As an investment, It should therefore be maintained and protected to last you a lifetime.
Maintaining the quality of your home will keep its value intact and may even increase with regular upkeep. A home requires a regular maintenance, just like a car and other equipment. Here are ways on how you can value your home so it can last generations.
Periodic Maintenance Checks
A regular check on the following items in your house can prevent your house from gradually deteriorating and losing value:
- Check the caulking and weather stripping around windows and doors. It is good to do this with every change in season. Check screens for tears.
- Regularly clean gutters and drain pipes of leaves and debris to prevent their clogging.
- Check the roof and chimney for leaks and flashing around vents and skylights.
- Inspect siding for holes and peeling paint.
- Maintaining the exterior of your home is as important as the interior.
- Regularly check and replace the filters on your HVAC system.
- Check your HVAC drip pans to make sure they are not holding water.
- Check that your fire extinguishers, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in good working order.
- Have your gas appliances checked by a licensed engineer or technician.
- Trim tree branches that are hanging over the house. They could cause damage during a storm and may also be causing fallen leaves into the gutters.
These are just some of the more important items you need to check on a regular basis. For a small fee many home services companies will come to your house and provide an inspection.
Knowing the brewing problems in your house’s structure is good, but without making the necessary corrections, your home and possibly the safety of your family remains in jeopardy. If you do not have the skills, tools and time, it is time to call on the experts for these jobs. Experienced professionals are the people to go to for help. Repairs are less costly than renovation, so it’s always best to get repairs completed before they worsen and affect other parts of the house.
Proper maintenance and repairs will prolong your home’s life and restore it into its original high value. You will also enjoy the benefit of lower insurance premiums.
Called force majeure or acts of God, problems resulting from natural phenomena cannot be controlled or prevented in most cases. Examples are lightning, smoke, hail and fire (which may be from natural causes or otherwise). They occur when you least expect them like other man-made accidents.
It is essential to ensure your valuable property is protected against all of these disasters. Homeowners insurance will be your strong shield against natural catastrophes. Getting the proper coverage will allow you to sleep peacefully at night and give you a peace of mind that the home you worked so hard to get will not be affected or diminish in value.
If you want to protect your home and make it last a lifetime, we’d be happy to discuss what coverage is best for your home and family and make sure to protect what’s most important to you. Give us a call today at 817-423-0048.